Sunday, September 21, 2008

Epic Drop: Top 10 Things We Learned From The NFL Yesterday

Here's your link, and while I could talk about any number of things, I had to dwell in the land of the Regional Color shot, once again.

Did you know that cheese is made in Wisconsin? I had no clue, really; it had somehow evaded my notice in the hundreds of other video montages that have been prepared and produced over the years. Maybe a few hundred more, wildly similar, video montages over the remaining years of my life might do it.

Hey, broadcast honks that are wasting my time and yours with this nonsense? Show me something new. Cut to an office complex where people are filling cubicles, just so that I know that people in Green Bay have the Internets and electricity and e-mail. Cut to someone at an Appleby's ordering the appetizer sampler -- and wow, it's actually a lot like the ones we have near us! Find a postal worker filling a mail box with junk mail, or a nest of pudgy white kids fast-twitching their way through the tricks stage on the latest Tony Hawk game on their Wii.

Because, well, I've been to Green Bay. It's a small town, like a college town, really, and it has a lot more of the mundane than the cheese-producing. No one who has watched your telecasts over the years know this. And so long as you're introducing civics lessons in the middle of my damn football game, let's go whole hog. I want to know testing scores for the schools, the local crime rate, and what the housing market is like. Maybe we all should move there.

Somewhere, honestly, there is a broadcast mogul to be, maybe in high school or college, who is preparing for a career that will redefine televised sports. This person will, I am utterly certain, show just the game, and come to the realization that serving the base, hard-core consumer with just product, analysis, extensive replays of more than just the ball... will make us happy.

And that happy viewers are better than the people who wonder, game after game after game, why we need to see that Wisconsin makes cheese. (This just in... in Seattle, they throw fish!)

No comments: