Friday, September 26, 2008

Epic Drop: Top 10 Better Ways To Insult Cleveland

The link today is a cheap shot at the city of Cleveland's expense, and here is where I give you the obligatory "I keed, I keed" moment to let Cleveland Fan know there's no hard feelings.

Actually, er, um, no.

Not to take this too far into the gaping gutter that is presidential politics, but in 2004 (you know, back when I wasn't convinced that the media and populace weren't irredeemable), I canvassed and cold-called, since California (where I lived at the time) wasn't in play. This wound up manifesting itself in a lot of work in Nevada, but it also touched on cold calls and letter writing to people in Slow High O.

It was regrettable work.

I also have been to Cleveland in the mid-80s, and dear Lord, that was a bad stadium. I've been to Olympic, Riverfront, Three Rivers and a host of Florida minor league rat holes for spring training games... and they were all better than that hole.

So Cleveland can go pound sand, the same way that Philly can, or Detroit, or Buffalo or Pittsburgh or a dozen other multi-team metropolises. And as for Gilbert getting all thin-skinned for his town... dude, you've got the best basketball player in the world (arguably) playing in a secondary media market, before his big contract. What makes you think that the speculation would be any different if he was in, well, just about 20 other NBA towns?

No comments: