Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Economy of the Big Ten Network

So today I watched the Iowa-Iowa State game, broadcast nationwide on the Big Ten(+1) Network. I couldn't help but notice a pattern to the commercials:

(1) At least a half-dozen ads for the University of Iowa. None for Iowa State.

(2) At least four ads for the Big Ten itself.

(3) At least four PSAs from the Ad Council promoting a web site to tell parents how to use the V-chip in their televisions.

(4) At least four repeats of a fairly long ad for a mail-order over-the-door chin-up bar.

This high a proportion of house ads, during what SHOULD be the network's top programming slot--noon to 3PM on a football Saturday--is I think rather surprising.

Conclusion: (almost) No One Is Paying For Ads On The Big Ten(+1) Network.

3 comments:

Tracer Bullet said...

You were watching college football?! Good Lord, what happened?

DMtShooter said...

Not me, but the strong work of Tar Heel Dirty Davey. Much thanks for the assist.

Dirty Davey said...

And I was watching Big Ten football because I am engaged to a University of Iowa graduate.