Saturday, August 9, 2008

Your First Game

Tonight in Philadelphia, the Phillies beat the Pirates in a surprisingly close and low scoring contest, 4-2. Brett Myers went into the eighth inning, Jimmy Rollins had two triples, Shane Victorino drove in 2 runs, and Chad Durbin cleaned up the ninth for his first save of the year. Ian Snell of the Pirates was in trouble all night, but he kept his team, such as it is, in the game, and the Phils' 13th straight shutout went home happy.

Why go into such detail? Because one of the guys that I went with brought his son, who had never been to an MLB game before.

And it got me thinking about my first game, which I thought I had cold. The Phillies beat the Dodgers on my fifth birthday, with Davey Johnson hitting a pinch-hit grand slam in the bottom of the ninth... until I went on Project Scoresheet to try to look up the details of the game, and discovered that the game actually happened on my ninth birthday.

I suppose this is all to be expected, given that it's hard to remember anything too precise about your childhood, but still... four years off. Yikes. You'd think that I'd have written it down or something.

1 comment:

Dirty Davey said...

Me, I don't remember at all. We were living about four blocks from the stadium, and I don't recall a time I wasn't going to the occasional game.