Sunday, March 28, 2010

In this year's news that you could not possibly care about...

Here's the auction league roster. It's a 5x5 league with OBA instead of BA, and K/BB instead of K/9. $250 cap, keepers are in bold.

C Matt Wieters BAL 12
C A.J. Pierzynski CHA 2
1B Joey Votto CIN 17
2B Ian Kinsler TEX 21
3B Pablo Sandoval SF 10

SS Jose Reyes NYN 29
CI Carlos Pena TB 22
MI Martin Prado ATL 3
OF Justin Upton ARZ 11
OF Carlos Quentin CHA 8
OF Vernon Wells TOR 5
U Garrett Jones PIT 2
SP Chris Carpenter STL 8
SP Clay Buchholz BOS 15
SP Yovani Gallardo MIL 12
SP Max Scherzer DET 10
RP Trevor Hoffman MIL 9

RP Jason Frasor TOR 7
P David Price TB 8
P C.C. Sabathia NYA 33
P Fausto Carmona CLE 1
BN Drew Stubbs CIN 3
BN Justin Duchscherer OAK 1
BN Neftali Feliz TEX 1

Basically, my draft came down to making big bets on Reyes and Sabathia early, and getting a bunch of guys in the end game that I really liked at the price. Pena at 22 is a nice value in an OBA league, especially if he can stay healthy the whole year in a walk year. Of course, this also assumes that my keepers actually stay healthy and productive, and since Upton and Kinsler have already had ankle issues this spring, I think we all know where that's going.

The outfield is a problem unless I get lucky on weak bets like Wells and Jones, as I lost out in the bidding for BJ Upton yet again. I do have hope for Drew Stubbs to come through big, though. I'm also not going to compete for saves in a league where some guys have a half dozen closers. Had I the courage of my convictions, I'd have punted the category entirely, and had something left to bid for Buster Posey, who the league's defending champion took down when I didn't have anything left to bid.

But regardless of how the league turns out, the simple fact is that Draft Day is a great day. We had 11 out of the 12 owners in the room, no real tech issues, BBQ and fried chicken and soft pretzels and just the good time of doing a dumb thing with our whole hearts. Which I can't recommend enough, really.

No comments: