Monday, March 22, 2010

OCDMt

This is how it goes...

Next Saturday, I'm hosting the third year of my keeper / auction baseball draft, the House of Meat. This means that I get to:

1) Purchase and mount the big board materials

2) Prep the room for a dozen or so people

3) Arrange refreshments.

Fairly simple, right? Something you could do in a couple of hours, tops? Especially since I've done this a few dozen times now, between football, baseball and poker events. And yet I still find myself...

1) Organizing a meat run for lunch

2) Planning on laying in a load of soft pretzels in the unlikely event that there isn't enough meat to go around

3) Working out various ways to teleconference in the 1-2 out of state owners that might not make it to the live event

4) Buying oversized labels and board materials to make for better viewing, then realizing that it complicates the seating situation, since it means that the board is going to go lower than it usually does

5) Sitting in every seat in Step #4, like I can really get a sense of how this will be with a dozen people in the way

6) Arranging for a Helper Monkey person to update the rosters in real time, so that it can be emailed to people post-draft faster, and give the out of towners a better shot

7) Um, cleaning the while damn house like a stereotypical '50s housewife, because dammit, People Are Coming Over, And We Can't Possibly Be Seen As Bad Hosts

All of which, of course, comes from my draft prep time, and running the auction while participating in it also can't help your chances. Much like, say, running a poker tournament while playing in it.

In short, I am everyone's favorite kind of mark; the one that does it to himself.

And with that said, back to the draft prep...

No comments: