Friday, December 5, 2008

We Still Own The Mets

A few choice quotes from Mets' chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon about the fact that you, me, and the rest of our fellow taxpayers will be paying the Mets $20 million a year for the right to name their new stadium after Citibank.

(If you came in late, the Saudi scumbags who can't make money running a credit card company -- no, really -- are going to pull in $45 billion of our money to not fail and cause a greater financial crisis. But they can't, ahem, get out of the Mets' stadium deal. Nice.)

“The company is still an ongoing company and a vital company that is doing business around the globe. The taxpayers are backstopping what’s going on in the global economy. It’s not really Citi’s fault that they’re in this problem... We have a deal with Citi that is good for them, good for us...I understand where they’re coming from. I understand that there’s some upset-ness in the marketplace. But we don’t agree with it.”
I see Wilpon's point.

And if someone wants to kill Wilpon with their bare hands for his jaw-dropping arrogance and standard rich guy obliviousness to public outrage over indirectly subsidizing his profitable business during an economic meltdown... well, I understand where they're coming from.

But I don't agree with it.

I mean, he's probably got a pretty damned thick neck. Using a gun would be easier.

No comments: