Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dumb Marketing


End of the weekend, time for The Truth to pay some bills. Go to DirecTV to find out what I owe and am presented with an ad for the all new NFL remotes. Ok, decent idea for the crazy NFL fan. Not sure I'd shell out 30 bones for a remote that doesn't do much more than my regular remote (from what I can tell it has a new light in the dark feature so I can see the buttons from the pitch black of the man cave). 30 bucks to have my team's logo in the middle of the remote. Whatever.

But two funny things caught my attention. On the first part of the offer in the upper right corner (you can click the photo on the top of this blog for a larger screen shot) it has a callout for "The Perfect Holiday Gift." Sure, I can see that - trying to find something perfect for that face painting, live and die for my favorite team NFL fan. However, when you click through that first page and get to the second page (shown on the left - again click for larger view) the last bullet reads "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery." Unless the holiday they are referring to is MLK observance, you're out of luck.

But my favorite part of the features is the second part of this next line. "Each remote sports the colors and logo of an NFL team — plus, on the back, you get the team’s championship stats."

So if I'm a Saints fan, I'm looking at the back of a blank remote. Maybe it lists the the Super Bowl stats of those games played at the Super Dome. I don't know. And if you're remote is for a team like the 49'ers or Steelers - do you need a magnifying glass to read it?

Dumb marketing for dumb people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dumber marketing: Cavs Varejao wig night!! Come on, you KNOW you want one!