Thursday, June 10, 2010

The ‘Stache Plays

A quick thought dawned on my last night as I was watching Joel Quenneville interviewed following the Blackhawks celebration of winning the Stanley Cup. Not only is his face about 50% mustache, but if you want to win in Chicago – your coach better have a mustache. It seems a bit odd, but the more I thought about it, the more it became clear. Follow this with me for a minute:


Blackhawks – haven’t won the Cup until last night since 1961. Coach Q and his mustache of power helped the Blackhawks hoist the cup last night. That stache is so big, it has its own Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=83399386715.


Bulls – last time the won was during the Phil Jackson years. Again, mustache. Even though he had a bad mustache, it doesn’t matter when you have Jordan. And speaking of bad mustaches, what’s up with Mike these days?


White Sox – Ozzie Guillen is 8 shades of crazy, but smart enough to sport the goatee. Without it, would the Sox have one the Series in ’05?


Bears – and of course we can’t forget about Da Coach. Last time the Bears won the Super Bowl, Ditka and his combination of scowl and ‘stache was patrolling the sideline. If I’m Lovie Smith, I’m spreading Miracle Grow all over my face to get the mustache growing.


The Cubs – I’m not sure they had photography the last time the Cubs won a Series so I don’t know what the coach looked like. I would persuade Lou to grow some quick facial hair if I thought this good luck charm would work, but let’s face it, it’s the Cubs. Nothing works.


So congrats to Coach Q, his stache and the Blackhawks. So to all you current a future Chicago coaches – if you want to win it all, embrace the hair lip. And a quick congratulation to Philly fan who didn’t taze anybody, puke on anybody, vandalize anyone’s car or give a 4 year old a beer last night. Well played.

No comments: