Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In News You Could Not Possibly Care About

Here are the results on the head to head snake draft that I did tonight. Please feel free to use it to mock my prowess and/or learn some wild intelligence for your auction league competition with me this weekend.

1 (pick 4) WR1 Andre Johnson HOU
2 (25) RB1 Ryan Grant GB
3 (32) QB Matt Schaub HOU
4 (53) WR2 Pierre Garcon IND
5 (60) RB2 C.J. Spiller BUF
6 (81) WR3 Robert Meachem NO
7 (88) B1 Reggie Bush NO
8 (109) TE Owen Daniels HOU
9 (116) DEF Pittsburgh PIT
10 (137) B2 Sidney Rice MIN
11 (144) B3 Dexter McCluster KC
12 (165) B4 Devery Henderson NO
13 (172) B5 Peyton Hillis CLE
14 (193) B6 Rob Gronkowski NE
15 (200) PK Sebastian Janikowki OAK

I took some uncharacteristic gambles in this draft. The first is by passing up Maurice Jones-Drew, Frank Gore and Michael Turner for Johnson. I never wind up with the top WR, and I always hate my wideouts... so let's try something new this year. Also, MJD's knee issue troubled me, I've never been a big Gore fan, and Turner's workload from 2008 could just be a career killer. Johnson looks like 1,500 yards and 10 TDs in the bank, so let's just lock that down.

I was thrilled to get Grant coming back. I've owned him for 2 years in my auction league, and he's fairly steady in the gig... and his competition is pretty meagre. I think he adds a few more touchdowns this year as Aaron Rodgers keeps himself from bodily harm. In the third, I was sure I was going to pass on a highly ranked QB... but Schaub to Johnson just seemed like too much fun to avoid, especially in a H2H league. The other choices there were Jahvid Best or Jamal Charles, both of whom seemed a little dicey, and I thought that Arian Foster would get back to me... but all three of them went down in short order in the third. I went contrary with Garcon, then had to reach a bit for Spiller, who probably will be a weak link. But it's not like he doesn't have the talent.

As for the rest... I hate 14 team drafts, because you just wait forever for picks. Meachem, Bush, Daniels and Henderson are all kind of meh picks, but at least I'm bought in to the Saint and Texan aerial circuses. Rice made me happy, in that he's potentially a WR1 in the playoffs, assuming I make them. McCluster has WR/RB flexibility and special skills; he could be the Chiefs Welker. Hillis is a decent lottery ticket, given the Browns' quality offensive line and frequent injury history of lead waterbug James Harrison. Gronkowski has been the talk of Patriot camp, not that I'm really banking that much into it. I'm just hoping he holds the fort down until Daniels is 100%.

I think it's a top-half team, but if Schaub gets hurt, I'm dead -- not just from the QB replacement problem, but from the fact that Johnson and Daniels will also go in the tank. Anyway... moving on.

No comments: