Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What Does a $91 Million Baby Look Like?

Like this. No, I didn't mean to say bonus baby. I meant baby. As in Carlos Zambrano. Apparently Carlos got his feelings hurt yesterday by the fans at Wrigley. According to Carlos, even if you go 0-5 over the past few weeks and get shelled in your latest outing while contending for the division, fans should not show their displeasure in your lack of success.


Little Z (yes you're nickname has even been demoted. "Big" implies that you are a man, which after all the crying yesterday, that is being questioned.) was yanked in the 5th inning and met with a chorus of boos from the crowd. Z pointed to his head as if to say "I won't forget this." Now I know they do things a little different in Venezuela and Ozzie Guillen's threats against other players/reporters have shown me that crazy is a commodity in Venezuela. But Z, come on, do you really want to agitate your fans even more? That usually works out well. And what line of work do you think you're in? You are a professional athlete who just signed a contract that will pay you close to $100 million. When you stink (over a five week period to boot) you will get booed.

Here is what he had to say after the game:
"I don't accept that the fans were booing at me," a seething Zambrano said afterward. "I can't understand that. You know, I thought these were the greatest fans in baseball. But they showed me today that they just care about them, and that's not fair, because when you're struggling, you want to feel the support of the fans."
I am not a fan of the Cubs. Never have been, never will be. They have brought me a lot of joy over the years watching them lose over and over. But I will say this about their fans - they are some of the most loyal, if not the most loyal fans in baseball. They haven't won squat in almost 100 years yet their fans have stuck with them. For Little Z to say that these fans don't care about anybody other than themselves shows that either he isn't very bright or just wanted to find a way to invalidate the fans. Either way it shows what a classless, me first, whiner Little Z is. Guess what Z - you signed the contract, now earn it.

No comments: