Sunday, April 6, 2008

Predictable

I received a lot of calls today from friends asking if I got nervous watching the KU-UNC game last night when the Heels pulled within 6. To be honest, I didn't. I spent 15 years of my life watching the exact game where KU was down by 4-10 points and our coach didn't know what to do. He usually would go to a trap instead of full court press that would lead to 6-8 quick points for the other team. He would always keeps subbing to keep his "kids fresh" even though it's the NCAA tourney and one loss and your out. He would never call a timeout even when the other team was on some ridiculous run.

The reason I wasn't nervous last night was because that coach who tortured me for 15 years was sitting on the opponent's bench. No timeouts, same poor subbing decisions and the exact trap defense all led to KU putting this game away last night. Roy Williams is a good coach, just not a great coach and the fans at Carolina are realizing this. Check out their message boards if you don't believe me. But from what I've read from Carolina fans for the past 5 years they deserve each other. Incredible arrogance coupled with incredible incompetence in big games. Enjoy each other - you definitely deserve each other.

I also wanted to point out that my favorite coach, on any level, Larry Brown was in attendance last night. I got a kick out of Billy Packer pointing out that Coach Brown was rooting for Carolina to get back on D at one point. Now Packer gets a lot of things wrong - but this was just ridiculous. Coach Brown was rooting for KU to keep attacking. How do I know? He was sitting in the KU section all night. Nice work Packer.


And why would a UNC alum be sitting in the KU section rooting against his alma mater? Was it because he won a NC as coach at KU? Nope. Was it because Bill Self got his coaching start under him? Nope. Was it because in 2003 when Roy Williams said he "had" to take the UNC job because Dean Smith told him he was the only one great enough for the job -- even though Larry Brown was interested? And the fact that Roy really wanted the job even though he said he didn't and blocked Larry from even interviewing. You got it. I'm pretty sure Coach Brown was enjoying Roy eat that shit sandwhich from the KU stands.


Roy - thanks for leaving. We finally have a coach that can both effectively manage and win big games.

No comments: