Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Brief And Obvious Point About Working Out While A Hobbit

Hobbit Workout
Folks, I'm not outing myself to the longtime readers of the blog when I post my vitals: 5'-4", 141 (yes, one stubborn pound over my goal, it doesn't matter how much I don't eat or how much I exercise, seemingly), 43 and painfully white. I've never been the kind of guy who racks a ton of weight and grunts my way through a set that you can hear from the parking lot; instead, I just go and do my work, and try to get there every other day and slowly but surely add weight over time. The goal isn't to Get Huge (and have to buy new clothes to fit My Hugeness); instead, it's to maintain my weight without denying myself the food and drink that I want to consume, and to never have to buy clothes before they flat out wear out. Besides, my kids keep getting bigger, and might still need to be carried someplace. So I'm gonna do that.

Which means that I don't have a ton of moments like this one, but when I do, it's pretty great.

You go to a machine which has been used by someone bigger and younger and much more grunty than you... and find that you need to up the weight from what was left on the machine, because it's just that much less than your usual reps. And you do that, then calmly and quietly lift the bigger weight, then wipe down the machine and rack the weight back down, because, well, manners.

It doesn't happen all that often. But when it does, it's all kinds of nice. Beware the strong old hobbit...
'

No comments: