Monday, January 17, 2011

FTT Off Topic - Tear Wine Ambrosia

I was off today for the MLK holiday -- and just by mentioning that, I'm sure that Some Of You are going to be moved to comment, and please don't -- but my kids were not. This year, that's a private situation where we are getting the last year of a private teacher's home academy / schooling situations. It's gone much better than the public school situation in the past few years for my eldest, and the younger one wasn't really ready for kindergarten for many reasons, but that's neither here nor there.

The school situation is really small -- just my two and a 7 year old girl and a 9-year-old boy from a wealthier family. They are nice kids and all, but the older boy can be a handful from time to time, in that he's one of those Enjoys Attention types. In other words, well, a 9-year-old boy. Nothing really wrong with that; I even like the kid. But if his life is a little crappy from time to time, I lose no sleep.

To further set up the situation, I told the Shooter Eldest why I was so, so happy last night. Kids got ice cream and pie, a late night and more last night at the Shooter House, and all it took was the Patriots taking it without dignity. Hell, I even stopped at Chuck E Cheese's on the way home today without warning. When the last four football teams in the NFL Super Bowl dance are all more or less objection-free franchises -- honestly, I am without rancor for any of 'em -- I am just that dangerously happy.

Anyhoo, back to the story. With the day off, I went to school with the kids to lend a hand, and saw this kid wearing... a Patriots jersey. Seems that he and his dad are big Patriots fans, and got really, really sad by yesterday's game.

And no, I didn't laugh at his misery. And no, the Shooter Eldest didn't, either. We're not monsters.

But happy, tight little smiles?

Oh hell yes.

Thank you, Rex Ryan and Crew. God bless you, one and all...

No comments: