Monday, October 19, 2009

In news that I know that you don't care about...

Here's the opening day team for the auction keeper team. As you can see from the selections and dollar amounts, I was very aggressive early.

1 LeBron James, Cle SF $76
5 Kevin Durant, OKC SG $75
51 Lamar Odom, LAL PF $7
62 Tony Parker, SA PG $14
73 Emeka Okafor, Nor C $12
85 Jeff Green, OKC SF $8
117 Spencer Hawes, Sac C $1
120 Michael Beasley, Mia PF $2
121 Chris Andersen, Den C $2
131 Channing Frye, Pho PF $1
135 Tracy McGrady*, Hou SG $1
139 Rudy Fernandez, Por SG $1

The plan was to get a stud early, and James came to me for a little less than I expected... so when I got involved in the bidding for Durant, it seemed OK to at least try to take money out of the market. When he stayed with me at $75, I figured what the hell. Usually I can play the wire to get a guy or two, and since the league only goes 144 deep, I wasn't living in too much fear of dumpster diving to close the roster.

Besides, the nice part about getting studs in a keeper league is that if your team doesn't work out, you can usually deal one to a club that's trying to make a run for keepers. So there's that.

Team wise, I like Emeka Okafor a lot this year. If Chris Paul can make the utterly offense-free Tyson Chandler acceptable, he can certainly do something with Oak. Parker is always a reasonable value, especially in a Spurs system where Tim Duncan is fading, and if Tracy McGrady can ever get his career going again, that's a fine way to spend a dollar. I'm also something of a Spencer Hawes fan this year, because it's not as if the Kings have any better ideas, and he looked like he's got some hope.

And, well, there's just something fun about owning the potential #1 and #2 players in the league. It's my fantasy, dammit. We now return you to posts about things you might care about.

(Oh, and one final word to all of the people who wanted to tell me how they could not possibly have enough time to do an auction... the draft lasted less than two hours, or about the same as a serpentine draft. Moving on.)

1 comment:

IMHO said...

Eric here. The auction was and not overly time-consuming.

Seeing Lebron and Durant anchor your stats every night is going to make high risk/high reward dumpster diving that much more effective.