Saturday, October 3, 2009

Poker fever

So I'm fighting off some kind of bug, and rather than subject the rest of the Shooter Brood to it, I've been hiding in the Man Cave. Which led to passing out on the couch while the World Series of Poker was on, and having the following nightmare (no, really):

I'm in a poker game that a friend of mine is leading. He's the dealer, and pass after pass goes by with him (a) narrating the entire hand, a la the ESPN coverage (because I'm not quite unconscious), and (b) failing to deal me in. So I'm getting more and more angry, not the least of which is that I'm subject to the blinds, but none of the other players seem to care, and my friend just continues to narrate the hands.

Finally, I get up and leave with a few choice words as to how I'm never coming back to his crappy game, and he follows me to my car... only to continue, well, narrating the hand. I wake up to realize what's happening, and realize that I've been listening to poker coverage for, well, hours.

I suppose it could have been worse, in that if I had stayed asleep long enough, my friend would have begun speaking in informercial, or if it had been an earlier year of coverage, Phil Hellmuth-ese...

No comments: