Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Duh Privilege Moment

Barely Worth The Free Price
I cut cable years ago, and haven't missed it at all, really. When my teams are live, I up my Hulu account; when they are eliminated, I dial it back to basic. So my Hulu live sports access ended when the Sixers ended. It'll go back to full access when the Eagles' regular season starts. Until then, I'll pocket the money, which is not small and is very much needed.

Which leads to the following experience: listening to an audio-only feed of the NBA Finals game tonight, because paying for a game that would play in the background while I feverishly do other things for money... well, no. I'll watch the highlights later, pocket the $75 or so and/or avoid having to remember to turn off some dodgy not free trial, and rest easy in the knowledge that ESPN will get no money from me at all for a series that I'm sure is fine hoop and all, but dear God, I just don't have the time for it.

Now, compare this to, well, the sports experience for most of my adult life.

The game is on, cable is never cut, and even if you don't have cable, the game is on free broadcast television. Sports is ingrained in the culture and shared at every economic level, because it's a long play and poor people can eventually make money and buy tickets and jerseys and what not.

Now? Not so much. The game is available everywhere thanks to phones, but we're going to monetize and exclude. You might have more luck getting it for free in some other country, or through some malware provider.

It's hard not to be a curmudgeon about this sort of thing, rather than just see it as it is -- the NBA cashing in while it can, in a constantly fragmenting media market, and hoping that highlights and video games and other channels will solve for the mass market coverage that used to be easy.

Today? You are going to pay. Or, today at least, not.

No comments: