Thursday, September 22, 2011

Today in Uninformed Punditry

So what's filling other people's blogholes right now is whether or not Michael Vick should start for my laundry this Sunday against the Giants. And because this is the kind of decision that you don't need to have any kind of knowledge at all to weigh in about, it's the perfect grist, really.

Now, far be it from me to deride how anyone else gets traffic, seeing how I mostly don't. But before we get too far into this, a simple question...

Are any of you people doctors?

(and, a follow up)

Are any of you people Michael Vick?

Show of hands? Yeah, didn't think so.

See, the problem with having an opinion on this is that You Don't Know Squat. Same as me, really. I don't know what Vick's baseline brain patterns look like; after a couple of those turnovers against the Falcons on SNF, I wasn't sure he had any *before* getting hurt, let alone after. If he plays this week against the Giants, I'll do the same thing I do for every other game he plays: cross my fingers and hope for a win and health. It's kind of the deal here.

But to tie his playing time into a greater tale of how the Eagles are concussion fiends that rush back players, or how the QB has no long-term survival instincts, or that the team is desperate to live up to expectations, living in fear of the Giants pass rush, ready to transition to the Mike Kafka Experience...

Well, um, it's quite likely bullsquat, and even if it isn't, there's no reason to go into psychoanalysis about it. So can we just go waste our time in some other way?

No comments: