Wednesday, September 9, 2009

How to put this delicately. Hmm. ESPN Completely Blows. Yes, that'll do.

Here's the final fantasy football league draft of 2009.

1 Adrian Peterson, Min
28 Marques Colston, NO
29 Ryan Grant, GB
56 Santonio Holmes, Pit
57 Donovan McNabb, Phi
84 Donnie Avery, StL
85 Steelers D/ST, Pit
112 Zach Miller, Oak
113 Fred Taylor, NE
140 Rashard Mendenhall, Pit
141 John Carlson, Sea
168 Devery Henderson, NO
169 Isaac Bruce, SF
196 Kris Brown, Hou

This draft was going reasonably well for a while, and then the draft pick sniping started to sour me on life after the seventh round... and then, with the 140 and 141 picks, ESPN completely boned me over by switching to auto drafting. That's when I got Mendenhall, who is not projected to play a large role in the Pittsburgh attack anymore, and Carlson, who is a good enough TE, but really not what I wanted there. (For the record, I was going to go for Earl Bennett and Steve Smith, or maybe a back up QB.)

After that happened, both of the guys I wanted went off the board in short order, and I really lost all motivation for the league. I realize this isn't the most mature reaction, and I might have a relatively competitive team anyway; if nothing else, owning McNabb for the first time in my life was something I was looking forward to.

But when the dumb thing that you are doing gets turned sideways, after 80 minutes of waiting through stupid autodraft delays (ESPN likes to make you wait the full 90 seconds for each autodrafting owner)? Well, maturity isn't the first thought. Deleting your account so that the scumbag provider never sees another advertising impression from you? That's more along the desire.

So, if you've ever been tempted to try ESPN for your roto league? Don't. It sucks. And it sucks even if the autodraft thing hadn't happened, since you:

1) Can't toggle between your rankings and some other system, like you can on Yahoo

2) Can't see average draft position for picks, like you can on Yahoo

3) Get a big load of nonsense on your team page, rather than, say, actual freaking numbers

4) Get spammed with roadblock ads when you try to access your team

5) Can't delete messages you post, which is something I very much want to do now, so as to not encourage anyone else to stay on ESPN's page for a minute longer then they have to

This is the third system I've used so far in fantasy football; the providers have been Yahoo, ESPN, and CBS Sportsline. Do yourselves a favor, and just stick with Yahoo. They aren't perfect, but the others are worse. Much worse.

No comments: