Thursday, June 25, 2009

205 Drop: Top 11 things I want for my own death

Today's drop is pretty wordy, so you should go get the full explanation over at 205, rather than read it twice. Instead, a few words about Farrah Fawcett.

When you look at The Poster now, it's hard to imagine the impact that it would have. I think my brother got his at a traveling carnival, which is really where you got any amount of sketchy merch back in those days, before the mall had niche stores and the Internets were a dystopian fever dream. He put it up in the room that we shared, and I remember staring up at it as an 8-year-old, barely knowing what the point was. He seemed to regard it as a religious artifact, and since the man was 15 or so at the time, I'm sure it was.

There have been female images since the Fawcett Poster that have achieved widespread public awareness, of course... but with the availability of imagery on the Internets and the fragmentation of pop culture, she's pretty much the last. There's something to be said for that, really. And there's also something to be said for a woman that didn't just accept that lot in life, but kept striving to do more as an actress and an activist.

Finally, this: the woman died in a way that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Even with the presumed advantage of money and celebrity, there was no escaping that.

We'll bring the blog back to sports shortly, in that I've got some NBA Draft thoughts. Thanks for letting me go on this, and.. there will be no equivalent eulogy for Michael Jackson. Moving on.

No comments: